At Silver Creek we believe that positive guidance teaches and encourages the healthy development of a child’s self-esteem. Our staff act as role models in order to influence and reinforce a child’s behaviour in a positive and consistent manner. In this environment the children will learn to “manage” themselves.
Silver Creek follows Ontario Regulation 137/15 and this is imbedded in our behaviour management, serious occurrence, and program statements/policies.
No licensee shall permit, with respect to a child receiving child care at a child care centre it operates or at a premises where it oversees the provision of child care:
- corporal punishment of a child
- physical restraint of a child, such as confining to a chair, care seat, stroller or other device for the purposes of discipline or in lieu of supervision, unless the physical restraint is for the purpose of preventing a child from hurting himself, herself or someone else, and is used only as a last resort and only until the risk of injury is not longer imminent;
- locking the exits of the child care centre for the purpose of confining the child, or confining the child in an area or room without adult supervision, uness such confinement occurs during an emergency and is required as part of the licensess’s emergency management policies and procedures;
- use of harsh or degrading measures or threats or use of derogator language directed at or used in the preence of a chld that would humiliate, shame or frighten the child or undermine his or her self-respect, dignity or self-worth;
- depriving the child of basic needs including food,drink, shelter, sleep, toilet use, clothing or bedding;
- inflicting any bodily harm on children including making children eat or drink against their will
We do, however, have a policy around Aggressive Behaviour. In the event that we are unable to effect change in behavior that is dangerous to the students we have a procedure and plan of action to make certain that every child is safe a Silver Creek. Please read our philosophy and procedure so that you are aware and able to support us/your child as needed.
All children need to feel safe and be kept safe at Silver Creek via the environment, program offerings and adults in the classroom. Aggressive behaviour exhibited by young children requires their parents, Silver Creek, and any other pertinent agencies work together to monitor and develop appropriate programming, supports and consequences to help decrease/alleviate aggressive behaviour
- Silver Creek staff are to inform teacher supervisor/E.D. of aggressive/inappropriate behavior noted in classroom. Behaviour Monitoring form to be implemented immediately
- Parents to be notified within 2 weeks or less; a meeting to be set up with parents to discuss situation in classroom, with documented behaviour monitoring form, and to get information about this situation in the home/other settings.
- On any given occasion, parent(s) may be asked to pick up their child early from school if the behaviour cannot be managed/modified by staff members that day.
- For child to remain at Silver Creek parents must be willing to allow Silver Creek to look for further support from the City of Toronto, Child Care Support Funds/Intensive Support to maintain safety for other children in the program and to develop skills to diminish inappropriate behavior.
- Parents must be open to the opportunity for other support from agencies that have expertise in behavior therapy/strategies (i.e. CLT, Surrey Place Centre, Geneva Centre, Adventure Place, etc.)
- Silver Creek will attempt to change the environment in the classroom to decrease inappropriate behavior, including changing the child into a different classroom—AM or PM.
- Ultimately Silver Creek will make the final determination around the outcome that will be in the best interest of all of our students.
If parents are not willing to work with Silver Creek as described above we will begin
the process of de-mitting.
- Silver Creek will attempt to find a more appropriate setting for the child
- Parents will be given 2 week’s notice if the child must be withdrawn from Silver Creek
- Silver Creek will initiate referrals to other agencies that have expertise in behavior analysis and programming, with the permission of parents
- Toronto Children’s Services will also be notified
Silver Creek will endeavor to maintain a placement for every child enrolled at Silver Creek. Behaviour management will continue as stated in Silver Creek’s behaviour management policy, respecting each child as an individual with distinct strengths and needs. Our goal is for every child to be happy, engaged and appropriately challenged at Silver Creek.